Best Practices For Adding A Gift Certificate Or Gift Card Value To A Client's Account
If your client would like you to add a gift certificate, or gift card value to their account, we have a few quick steps below on how to do that for them.
Here, we'll be creating an Open Payment on the client's account which can be applied to a future invoice. It's possible to show Open Payments and Credits to clients, to do so, please visit our help article on Showing Credits And Open Payments In Client Portal. Open Payments should be used only for any transaction where money has been paid to you.
Open Payments are different than Credits in Time To Pet, Credits should be used only if the client has not paid you any money. For example, a Credit can be used to reward a referral for your client who has recommended a friend or neighbor to use your services. In the referral credit example, no money has been received, but a value (a Credit) has been placed on your client's profile. To learn more about credits and open payments you can view our help article on Understanding Open Payments and Credits In Time To Pet.
When not to use this tool:
- If you already have an open Invoice and want to add this payment directly to that open Invoice. For ACH/Credit Card payments please visit Charge Client
- For external payments received (Cash, Check, outside payment method) for an existing invoice, open the Invoice that needs to be paid and click "Add Payment".
Adding An Open Payment To A Client's Balance
1. Navigate to the client's profile and click on (view) next to Balance, under the client's name:
2. Click on the "Create Open Payment" button in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen:
3. Follow the instructions on the next screen.
If you have integrated with one of our payment processors here in Time To Pet, your screen will look like this:
If you have not integrated with one of our payment processors here in Time To Pet, you will have the option to manually add a payment and add those payment details here and your screen will look like this:
4. Now, an Open Payment has been added to the client's account that can be used for future invoices.
5. When the client has an open invoice where an open payment can be applied, Time To Pet will remind you several times, and here is how you can apply an open payment to an open invoice.
Adding An Open Payment FAQs
Can a client see their Open Payment on their account?
For some of our customers, they choose to show clients their credit balance and their open payment balance. You can enable this directly in the Client Settings - Portal Settings section of Time To Pet. For more information on credits and open payments, please review our help doc on Understanding Open Payments and Credits in Time To Pet. We also have a help article on enabling Showing Credits and Open Payments in Client Portal.
Can a client purchase a gift card through their portal?
Yes, if you have enabled the Gift Cards feature and have integrated with one of our payment processors your clients can purchase their own gift cards through their online portal. We have a help article on setting up and utilizing the Gift Cards feature available here: Gift Cards.